For this fortnight's challenge (Art) I wanted something that a) was simple, b) would work for several different occasions, and c) was made from material from my fabric stash. And happily, I managed to do all three.
I decided to sew something I've seen in a fair amount of romantic era portraiture: The diaphanous white dress.
Usually gathered, usually sheer, this particular style of gown can be dressed up or down with accessories and works for almost all of the romantic era.
My version is made of the same sheer silk as my mother's day cap ( I bought a lot of it and I've been working my way through it.) and it's lined with ribbed cotton organdy.
Inside the bodice
The skirt before gathering
What the stripes look like in front of a solid color