Saturday, August 25, 2012

Is it procrastination if you have a legitimate reason not to do it?

The news on the Dickens Fair outfit is... there is no news. But I have a legitimate excuse! Unfortunately, I find myself in need of a new corset.
The story is this: After my last corset died, I needed a new one quickly for an event and therefore purchased a budget corset online from a suttler for about eighty bucks. While it gave me the basic silhouette I needed while still being comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time and dance in, it's true that one gets what one pays for. It was made of the cheapest material and boned with plastic coated braided cable (which I didn't find out about until one of the seams split. The description had said spring steel boning.) and two years of wear has warped it so that it is neigh unwearable. I am many things but a corsetier is not one of them, and so the short and long of it is that until I have a new one, I'll have to put the dress on hold.
The good news is that I'll be able to work on the accessories while I wait. I'm re-trimming the black tulle bonnet to match the general color scheme of the outfit (purple and black) and I'm going to need a pelerine to go with it.
I'm aiming for an 1840's late mourning dress. Cotton preferably, since Dickens Fair can get pretty warm indoors, in a nice deep purple. The pelerine will probably be out of black velvet since that's what I have on hand.
And now I'm off to see a lady about a corset!

Next post: Accessories

No comments:

Post a Comment